Dr. Prahlad Ho
MBBS(Hons) BMedSc FRACP FRCPA
Clinical and Laboratory Haematologist
Dr Prahlad Ho is originally from Singapore and graduated with honours from the University of Melbourne. He completed his haematology training at the Austin and Northern Hospitals in Melbourne.
Dr Ho is Director of Haematology at Northern Health and also the inaugural Medical Director of Northern Pathology Victoria, a new public pathology service being set-up at Northern Health. He is also a visiting haematologist at Alfred Health and the primary visiting haematologist at Northpark Private Hospital.
Dr Ho is actively involved in clinical research and has published in multiple international peer-reviewed journals. He is in-charge of the Haematology Research Unit at Northern Health and is the Principal Investigator in numerous malignant and non-malignant clinical trials. He is also a National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Heart Foundation Scholar and is currently extensively involved in investigator-led thrombosis research at Northern Health and the Australian Centre for Blood Diseases. His specific interest is investigating new biomarkers of thrombosis, specifically global coagulation assays.
“Dr Ho is experienced in managing a wide range of malignant and non-malignant blood disorders. In particular, he has a special interest in the management of thrombosis, including DVT/PE, anticoagulation therapy, thrombophilia advice/testing and complex cardiovascular disorders. His specific interest is investigating new biomarkers of thrombosis, specifically global coagulation assays. “
- Lim Y, Chua C, Tacey M, Sleeman M, Donnan G, Nandurkar H, Ho P. Venous thromboembolism management in Northeast Melbourne – How does it compare to international guidelines? Int Med J 2017 in press
- Ho P, Ng C, Rigano J, Tacey M, Smith C, Donnan G, Nandurkar H. Significant age, race and gender differences in Global Coagulation Assay parameters in the Normal Population. Thrombosis Research 2017 in press
- Chua C, Lim HY, Tacey M, Nandurkar H, Ho P. Retropsective evaluation of venous thromboembolism (VTE): are all transient provoking events the same? Eur J Haem 2017 in press
- Ho P, HY Lim, CC Chua, M Sleeman, M Tacey, G Donnan, H Nandurkar. Retrospective review of isolated distal deep vein thrombosis (IDDVT) – A benign entity or not? J Thromb Res 2016;142: 11-16
- HY Lim, C Ng, G Donnan, H Nandurkar, Ho P Ten Years of Cerebral Venous Thrombosis: Male Gender and Myeloproliferative Neoplasm is Associated with Thrombotic Recurrence in Unprovoked Events. J Thrombosis and Thrombolysis 2016; doi 10.1007/s11239-016-1362-3
- HY Lim, Ho P. Review: Direct Oral Anticoagulants in Dental PatientsIncluding the Frail Elderly Population. Dentistry Journal 2016,4,7: doi:10.3390/dj4010007
- La Brooy B, Ho PW, Lim KW. Letter to the Editor: NOAC in the elderly – What is the evidence? Int Med J 2015;45(6):685-6
- La Brooy B, Ho PW. New oral anticoagulants: An approach to the elderly. J Pharm Pract Research 2015;45:217-225
- Ho PW, La Brooy B, Hayes L, Lim KW. Review Article: Direct oral anticoagulants (DOACs) in the frail elderly: A geriatric perspective. Sem Throm Haem 2015 (in press)
- La Brooy B, Ho PW, Lim KW. A case of reversible cognitive impairment associated with the use of Dabigatran. J Am Geriatr Soc 2015 Aug;63(8):1717-9
- Ho PW, Khan S, Hayes L. Case Report: Extensive cerebral venous sinus thrombosis after Romiplostim treatment for immune thrombocytopenia (ITP) despite severe thrombocytopenia. Int Med J 2014 in press
- Ho PW, Smith C. High-dose methotrexate for the treatment of relapsed central nervous system Erdheim-Chester Disease. Case Rep Hematol 2014 Epub 2014 Jun 16.
- Lee D, Kalff A, Low M, Gangatharan S, Ho PW, Bajel A, Ritchie D, Grigg A, Spencer A. Central nervous system Myeloma – Potential roles for intra-thecal therapy and measurement of CSF light chains. Br J Haem 2013;162(3):371-375
- Ho PW, Sherman P, Grigg A. Intermittent granulocyte-colony stimulating factor maintains dose intensity after ABVD complicated by neutropenia. Eur J Haem 2012; 88(5):414-421.
- Ho PW, Phan TG, Reutens D, Markus R, Wright P, Indra I, Young D, Donnan GA. Is white matter involved in patients entered into typical trials of neuroprotection? Stroke 2005;36:2742